The Human Right Affairs Division of the OHCHR is looking for an intern for a period of time of 3-6 months in Geneva! What are you waiting for? If you are interested in this field this is your best career opportunity
For similar opportunity please visit the International Organizations section on our web site
Organization: The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) represents the world's commitment to universal ideals of human dignity. We have a unique mandate from the international community to promote and protect all human rights.
The High Commissioner for Human Rights is the principal human rights official of the United Nations.
The High Commissioner heads OHCHR and spearheads the United Nations' human rights efforts. We offer leadership, work objectively, educate and take action to empower individuals and assist States in upholding human rights.
Its headquarters is in Geneva
Duty Station: Geneva
Open to: Students and graduated
Timeframe: 3/6 months
Deadline: October, 18 2017
Job description: Under the direction and supervision of the Chief, National Institutions and Regional Mechanisms Section, the intern shall undertake the following activities:
-Assist in facilitating the mainstreaming of the work on National Institutions (NHRIs) as set out in the High Commissioner’s priority aims and objectives for OHCHR
-Assist in functions related to GANHRI and its Sub-Committee on Accreditation
-Assist in research regarding NHRIs functions and practices
-Assist in the organization and implementation of seminars, workshops and/or training activities on NHRIs at the national, regional or global level, as directed
-Assist in the preparation of training and information materials concerning NHRIs
-Other tasks as directed by the Chief of Section
-Assist in supporting a variety of initiatives aimed at further strengthening the relationship between OHCHR and civil society actors
-Provide assistance throughout the sessions of the Human Rights Council and its mechanisms and mandates (Universal Periodic Review, Advisory Committee, Social Forum). Working within the Council Secretariat (operating out of Palais des Nations for the duration of the session), the intern will facilitate access of NGOs to the Human Rights Council (processing of written statements, access to speakers lists, the holding of NGOs’ parallel events, attend NGOs’ parallel events, prepare summaries accordingly, and provide guidance to NGO participants)
-Assist in responding to daily requests and correspondence addressed to the Civil Society Unit’s e-mail address; the intern will also be contributing to the systematization of the responses given and to analyze trends and most common requests;
-Assist in implementing the Section’s work plan throughout the internship
-Other tasks as directed by the Chief of Section
- Communication. Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view ; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect ; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions ; monitors on-going developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems ; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects ; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
Applicants to the United Nations internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements: Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); Have graduated with a university degree, as defined above, and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation
- Be computer-literate in standard software applications
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideas of the Charter
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in spoken and written English is required for the internship. Knowledge of an additional UN language is an asset
Wage/fees: The internship is unpaid
Application process: Completed online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The cover note must include:
-Title of degree you are currently pursuing.
-Graduation Date (When will you be/have graduating/graduated from the programme?)
-IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in.
-Top three areas of interest.
-Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship.
-Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme.
In your Personal History Profile, be sure to include all past work experience, IT skills and three references
Submit all requested documents going to the Inspira platform and following the instructions
Edited by Sara Candido
The editorial staff of carriereinternazionali.com is not responsible nor liable for the reliability of the information contained in this article. If you want any further information concerning this vacancy, please contact the proposing organization.