The ILO’s Decent Work Technical Team for West Africa (DWT-Dakar) is looking for a Junior Professional Officer to help in its mission to provide the countries of the sub-region with a wide range of expert support services related to labour issues, including strengthening of social protection strategies and systems. Join the ILO and make your contribution!
For more opportunities go to: International Organization
Organization: The International Labour Organization (ILO) is the United Nations agency for the world of work. It sets international labour standards, promotes rights at work and encourages decent employment opportunities, the enhancement of social protection and the strengthening of dialogue on work-related issues. The ILO has a unique structure, bringing together governments, employers’ and workers’ representatives. The ILO has 187 member States and is one of the oldest UN agencies. The ILO’s Secretariat has its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, and a global network of technical experts and field offices in more than 40 countries.
Duty Station: Dakar, Senegal
Open To: The offer is addressed exclusively to candidates who have Belgian citizenship
Timeframe: Start date not specified, duration 12 months - renewable
Deadline: November 22nd (midnight Geneva time)
Job description: The position of Junior Programme Officer (JPO) is located in the ILO Decent Work Technical Team for West Africa, based in Dakar, Senegal (DWT-Dakar). The JPO will accompany and assist the Social Protection Specialist of the DWT-Dakar in conducting research, reviewing technical papers and policy briefs, organising missions, seminars meetings and advocacy events, following a time-bound work plan agreed between the JPO and supervisor.
Under the direct supervision of the supervisor, the JPO will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Participate in the preparation of relevant terms of references, draft component of research, technical reports, concept notes, and policy briefs;
- Identify and document ILO’s events and interventions, good practices, lessons learned and relevant experiences that may be shared with other countries at the regional or global level;
- Assist the organization and participate in local, national and regional meetings and workshops, tripartite seminars, training, and other social dialogue and capacity building activities;
- Identify possible source of development cooperation funding, support the drafting of concept notes and project documents, as well as other documents that may be requested for resource mobilization;
- Assist the preparation and participate in meetings of development partners and the United Nations System;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Candidates who have Belgian citizenship
- Candidates should be no older than 32 years of age as of 31 December 2019
- An advanced degree (Master's degree) in development economics or social sciences
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience in sustainable development and implementation of environmental related programmes, projects and activities is required. Prior experience at the international level is advantageous and a development-oriented employment history or previous experience in development is desirable (or something similar)
- Ability to write technical reports, information notes and summaries, design communication supports (e.g., brochures, presentations) and produce website contents;
- Proficiency in IT (WORD, POWERPOINT, EXCEL, etc.) and internet usage, including blogs, forums and wikis.
- Applicants should have working knowledge (both oral and written) of at least one of the ILO's official languages (English, French or Spanish).
- Capacity to work independently, plan activities and resolve challenges;
- Ability to work in a team, share and listen to ideas;
- Good communication skills both written and verbal;
- Ability to work in multicultural and gender-sensitive environment.
Wage/Fees: Not specified
Application process: Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form and need to submit their application as well as a cover letter online. To apply, please visit ILO Jobs. The system provides instructions for online application procedures. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for a written test and/or an interview.
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video or teleconference, e-mail, etc for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including technical tests or interviews.
Useful links: Job offer webpage
edited by Maria Laura Lo Cicero
The editorial staff of carriereinternazionali.com is not responsible for the reliability of the information contained in this article. If you want any further information concerning this vacancy, please contact the proposing organization.
Do you want to start an International Career? If you want to know something more about our association activities visit the website www.internationalcareersfestival.org