The application period for the United Nations Young Professionals Programme is finally open! Find out more about this opportunity and don’t waste any more time. Send your application!
For more opportunities go to International Organizations
Organization/Company: The Young Professionals Programme (YPP) is a recruitment initiative for talented, highly qualified professionals to start a career as an international civil servant with the United Nations Secretariat. It consists of an entrance examination and professional development programmes once successful candidates start their career with the UN.
Duty Station: New York, Addis Ababa, Bangkok, Beirut, Geneva, Nairobi, Santiago, Vienna, other
Open To: The YPP examination is held once a year and is open to nationals of countries participating in the annual recruitment exercise. The list of participating countries is published annually and varies from year to year (for the list of the participating countries click here).
Timeframe: not specified
Deadline: August, the 9th
Job description: There are three positions at the YPP: Associate Social Affairs Officer; Associate Legal Officer; Associate Statistician
These positions are located primarily in the Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA) and the Regional Commissions. DESA is a vital interface between global policies in the economic, social and environmental spheres and national action. Its work is guided by the universal, integrated and transformative 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, along with a set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
The YPP examination in Social Affairs covers a wide range of cross-cutting social, economic and demographic topics, including matters related to poverty eradication, employment, inequality, social integration and social inclusion, indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, youth, population dynamics, aging and migration, as well as other related areas covered by the social affairs arms of the United Nations. Successful candidates could be assigned to a job in any or a combination of these areas.
The assessment process is divided into 3 stages: Screening of applications; Written examination taken online; Oral examination. Knowledge of UN languages may be tested at any of these stages.
Associate Social Affairs Officer Duties:
- Carry out basic research on selected aspects of critical areas of concern related to socio-economic issues
- Contribute to the preparation of various written outputs
- Liaise with NGOs, researchers, academia, etc., as appropriate, to obtain and provide data and information
- Analyse progress and developments in the implementation of specific programmes; contributes to the development of mechanisms for monitoring programme implementation
- Prepare documentation for technical cooperation programmes and projects
Associate Legal Officer Duties:
- Conducts legal research on a diverse range of assigned issues in international law and other area(s) of specialization in public and private law
- Assists Legal Officers in the review of legal documents, instruments, or other material;
- Assists in the preparation of legislative and other legal standards, legal opinions/advice on a wide range of international public and private law issues, including the United Nations Charter, General Assembly resolutions and decisions
- Assesses the relevance or admissibility of evidence gathered by investigators.
- Assists in the preparation of agreements and contracts with governments, NGOs and other public and private entities, as well as claims and disputes.
- Assists Legal Officers in servicing diplomatic conferences, commissions, committees, task forces and other bodies
Associate Statistician Duties:
- Participates in the collection, evaluation, analysis, compilation and dissemination of statistical data from Member States by selecting methods of data collection, selecting and implementing appropriate methods for validating collected data and processing data for incorporation into statistical database(s)
- Participates in the development, implementation, and management of statistical database(s) and outputs in a particular area of statistics
- Conducts methodological research, analyze, and present information gathered from various data sources on assigned topics
- Prepares population estimates and projections and applies methodologies for demographic analysis
- Organizes and participates in seminars, working groups, expert meetings and task teams as a technical resource person
- You must have the nationality of a participating country
- You must hold at least a first-level university degree relevant for the exam subject you are applying for
- You must be 32 or younger in the year of the examination
- You must be fluent in either English or French
For further information about the qualifications regarding each singular position:
Wage: not specified
Application process: Read carefully the Application Process.
To apply, visit the page of the offer:
Visit the page “Contact Us” on the UN website
edited by Ludovica Mondati
The editorial staff of carriereinternazionali.com is not responsible for the reliability of the information contained in this article. If you want any further information concerning this vacancy, please contact the proposing organization.